SWOT analysis can be used to illustrate the current position of Skanska in UK construction market and factors affecting the business, the abbreviation standing for strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats associated with the business.
The following table illustrates Skanska SWOT analysis for UK.
- Large portfolio of construction services
- Positive brand image contributed by ‘green’ initiatives
- Presence of some iconic projects in portfolio (e.g. London’s The Gherkin)
- Occasional cashflow issues
- High operational costs
- Overall higher costs of services
- Development of separate division for lower-budget projects
- Entering the marketplace of emerging economies e.g. China and India
- Development of new niche markets
- Delay of expected recovery of UK construction industry
- New competitors with access to cheaper resources entering the market
- Legislative changes in UK with possible negative impacts