Amazon Marketing Communication Mix
Amazon marketing communication mix deals with individuals elements of the marketing mix such as print and media advertising, sales promotions, events and experiences, public relations and direct marketing.
Amazon Print and Media Advertising
Amazon uses print and media advertising extensively in order to communicate its marketing message to the members of the target customer segment. The most memorable Amazon TV ads include a video clip featuring former Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson promoting Amazon Fire TV, a promotion deal reported to cost Amazon GBP 160 million.
Moreover, TV commercials promoting Amazon feature cute animals in order to associate the brand image with qualitative values. This strategy indicates to changes in Amazon marketing message in a way that “rather than hawking hardware like Kindle e-readers, furry pets are pitching Amazon’s USD 99,00 Prime membership, which features delivery discounts and media streaming”.
The online retail giant had also released “Mom’s Here” TV advertisement on Oprah Winfrey Network, targeting mothers for Amazon Echo. In 2019 Amazon overtook Netflix as the top advertiser for video streaming services and increased TV advertisement spending by 28% for Amazon Prime Video.
Print advertising is used by Amazon extensively as well via magazines, journals, newspapers and billboards. In the latest move, Amazon started to print advertisement messages, pictures and cartoon characters from “Minions” movie on its shipping boxes, marking the start of a new type of print advertising.
One of the most memorable print advertisements by Amazon refers to the ad that appeals to Aatmanirbhar Bharat (self-sufficient India) sentiment featured in The Economic Times in 2020. This specific campaign has been praised as a successful attempt to show solidarity with nationalistic sentiment in India.
Viral marketing also plays an important role in Amazon marketing strategy. Amazon is one of the earliest adopters of viral marketing and the company is credited with the creation of the first affiliate program.In one of the most noteworthy cases, a video clip illustrating a new service ‘Prime Air’, that involves the delivery of the purchase by a flying robot in about 30 minutes proved to be a viral hit among internet users generating more than 10 million views.
The largest internet retailer in the world by revenue also uses celebrity endorsement on occasional manner. Super Bowl ad ‘Alexa Loses Her Voice’ featured chef Gordon Ramsey, rapper Cardi B, comedian Rebel Wilson, and actor Anthony Hopkins and it is widely considered to be a successful ad.
Moreover, the e-commerce and cloud computing company enlisted a number of celebrities for Amazon Prime Day in 2019. Special deals on the Prime Day were introduced by the likes of Kobe Bryant, Zac Brown, Marshmello, Kristen Bell, JoJo Siwa, Jaden Smith, Mark Wahlberg and many others.
Amazon Sales Promotions
Sales promotions is one of the main tools in Amazon marketing strategy used in a frequent manner. Amazon sales promotions techniques include the following:
- Seasonal sales promotions. Amazon announces seasonal sales promotions during holidays and festive periods, especially during Christmas and New Year holidays. The e-commerce giant also regularly organizes Prime Day midyear sales, which is also known as “Christmas in July” sales.
- Money off coupons. Amazon Prime members can use exclusive money off coupons from their favourite brands. Amazon coupons can also be purchased from a wide range of third party websites such as groupon.com, retailmenot.com and couponzguru.com
- Loyalty Card. The Amazon Platinum Mastercard gives 1.5 points for every £2 spent on the Amazon website plus spenders get 0,5 point for every GBP 2 spent on the card elsewhere.
- Membership Program. Amazon Prime membership is developed as an effective customer loyalty program. Members benefit from free two-day shipping on millions of eligible items, same day delivery on certain items, unlimited music, movie and TV streaming etc. for a fixed annual fee.
- Free Gifts. The e-commerce giant gives away free gifts to current and potential customers in various forms. Specifically, customers can download or stream more than 10.000 free MP3 music, there are free books available in Amazon Kindle and customers can also get free shipping for orders USD 25 or more. Moreover, customer can order free sample boxes and some customers can get items for free to review.
Amazon.com Inc. Report contains a full analysis of Amazon marketing communication mix and Amazon marketing strategy in general. The report illustrates the application of the major analytical strategic frameworks in business studies such as SWOT, PESTEL, Porter’s Five Forces, Value Chain analysis, Ansoff Matrix and McKinsey 7S Model on Amazon. Moreover, the report contains analyses of Amazon leadership, organizational structure and organizational culture. The report also comprises discussions of Amazon business strategy, ecosystem and addresses issues of corporate social responsibility.
Jeremy Clarkson sticks it to the BBC in Amazon Fire TV ad (2015) The Guardian, Available at: http://www.theguardian.com/media/mediamonkeyblog/2015/oct/30/jeremy-clarkson-bbc-amazon-fire-tv-ad-top-gear
Soper, S. (2015) “Amazon Uses Cute Animal Videos to Woo Shoppers in Ad Uptick” Bloomberg Business, Available at: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-22/amazon-uses-cute-animal-videos-to-woo-shoppers-in-ad-uptick
 Williams, R. (2019) “Amazon quadruples digital ad spending to overtake Netflix, study finds” Marketing Drive, Available at: https://www.marketingdive.com/news/amazon-quadruples-digital-ad-spending-to-overtake-netflix-study-finds/560769/
 Perez, S. (2015). “Amazon Turns Its Boxes into Ads with First-Of-Its-Kind Marketing Deal for “Minions” Movie” Tech Cruch, Available at: http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/02/amazon-turns-its-boxes-into-ads-with-first-of-its-kind-marketing-deal-for-minions-movie/#.pjwowkj:xd4A
Fiore, F. (1999) “Viral marketing: Spread a cold, catch a customer” Phoenix Business Journal, Available at: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/1999/06/28/newscolumn8.html
 Peck, M. (2013). “Amazon goes viral with new flying robot delivery service!” The Drum, Available at: http://www.thedrum.com/opinion/2013/12/05/amazon-goes-viral-new-flying-robot-delivery-service
 Bowers, A. (2018) “WHY WE LOVED AMAZON’S CELEBRITY-STUDDED SUPER BOWL AD” MCG, Available at: https://www.morriscreative.com/loved-amazons-celebrity-studded-super-bowl-ad/
 Lacy, L. (2018) “Inside the Rise and Fall of ‘Christmas in July’ Sales” AdWeek, Available at: https://www.adweek.com/digital/inside-the-rise-and-fall-of-christmas-in-july-sales/
 Amazon Platinum Mastercard (2022) Amazon, Available at: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Platinum-Mastercard/dp/B01LSOD0ZI